Walker Chapel UMC

Sanctuary Open for Prayer: Sunday, 9:00 am
Adult Study: Sunday, 9:30 am
Worship: Sunday, 10:30 am
Children's Sunday School: Sunday, 10:45 am


Why is it named Glebe Road?

Who was Mr. Glebe and why does he have such a prominent road named for him in Arlington. One would think that he was part of the aristocratic landed gentry in the Virginia Colony. Well, that would be an incorrect assumption

 A glebe is a piece of land set up for the benefit of the clergy. The road dates back to at least the mid-18th century and initially was known as the “Road to the Falls” taking travelers from Alexandria to Great Falls. The road also linked the glebe lands of The Falls Church and Christ Church and eventually became known as Glebe Road.


Walker Chapel began at a meeting in Mt. Olivet church, a few miles south along Glebe Road, on July 9, 1871. A group of "members and friends of the Methodist Protestant Church" made pledges "for the purpose of building a Methodist Protestant Church at or near Walker's Grave Yard."
 The original Walker's Grave Yard is a small plot of land located at the southwest corner of the present cemetery near Old Glebe Road. The first Walker Chapel church was built on that site, and Christmas services were held there in 1871. The completed church was dedicated in July 1876. The first church was a single room clapboard building with a small belfry and a basement for Sunday school.
 In 1903, a small white building with a bell tower replaced the first structure. The sanctuary on the main floor had Gothic windows with smoky glass; the lower level included a kitchen and a community room for Sunday school.

 After World War II, the growing congregation needed more room; and on July 9, 1951, the 80th anniversary of the founding of Walker Chapel, ground was broken for the construction of the multi-storied education and administration building. This wing of the church was extensively renovated in 1999, and still serves educational and administrative functions.
 The white brick church we use today was dedicated on Palm Sunday 1960. It features a sanctuary for 300 people, an elevator for access by the handicapped, and a spacious lower level containing a social hall with a stage, a banquet-sized kitchen, and utility and meeting rooms.
 Throughout its history Walker Chapel has provided a place of worship, Christian fellowship and service for the North Arlington Community. We continue that tradition today and welcome those seeking a church home.



The Wall of Memories

View more...